Public concern of a declining confidence in political leadership, the globalization of the economy, free trade, increased competitiveness in the open market, all point in the direction of viable alternatives. In India, the roles of the NGOs are receiving greater focus to provide this alternative in many ways.
The Himalayan Desk (HD) as an aggregating force will initially consider its role as:
- Creating a mandate, a platform, an atmosphere for innovation and experimentation.
- Provide an opportunity for smaller, more dynamic organizations to operate in the larger arena.
- Give organizations the space and freedom to spread their wings and not be bogged down with survival issues/activities.
- Change the dynamics and economics of the development sector for the donor agencies as well as the NGOs on the ground. Interface with government, private sector and donor agencies on behalf of all its partners.
- Bring national and international bodies and their projects closer to the intended recipients by creating a new level of management & communication infrastructure.
- Act as a Human Resource Development organization for the region.
- Serve as a catalyst for constant innovation, better business practices and a conduit for new ideas.
- Provide “single window” services of a communication centre that can consolidate efforts of a wide range of issues spread over a vast region and facilitate a two way flow of information.
- At no point in time or juncture infringe upon the autonomy, individual character, image or independence of associated organizations.